Seriously Injured Appiate Victim Needs Gh¢65k To Repair Broken Leg

Appiate disaster victim

Joseph Arhin Junior, one of the critically injured victims of the Appiate accident, is demanding GH65,000 to repair his shattered leg following the explosion in January last year.

The 45-year-old victim, who was the head of Physical Planning at the Amenfi East Municipality before the tragic occurrence, informed Nhyiraba Paa Kwesi Simpson, the host of Connect FM's Omanbapa morning programme, that the tragedy happened on his way home from work.

"I was returning from Wassa Akropong to see my family in Takoradi. A few meters to Appiate, we realized there was heavy traffic and a tanker vehicle was on fire so our driver alerted us and returned.

"We were looking for another vehicle when the tanker exploded and all of a sudden I heard people screaming for help. I decided to go and assist those who were badly injured and that is when I realized my left leg has been affected."

According to him, he was rescued by a Good Samaritan.

"I started screaming for help and a man came, he wanted to help me but there was no vehicle. He managed to get a tricycle but there was no fuel. He dropped me and another person whose intestines were already out into the bucket of the tricycle and pushed us to a nearby filling station where we were fortunate to have a vehicle to the Wassa Akropong Government Hospital. At a point, I wanted to chop off the leg because there was no hope," he indicated.

Mr Joseph Arhin Junior has spent the last year seeking medical treatment in order to get his leg repaired.

"I’m now a prisoner in my own house. I spent my life savings to get my leg to where it is now but I need more. I later had information that the government was paying all the bills so I sent them my receipts but I was not given all the amount spent. Now my fears and worries are that if I’m not able to go through the reconstruction process, I will not be able to walk and take care of my family again. I’m not blaming anyone, I’m only pleading for assistance to get my leg reconstructed. Any individual or organization that can help should reach out to Connect FM in Takoradi," he indicated.

The Appiate Disaster Aid Committee commemorated the one-year anniversary of the catastrophic explosion that killed many people in January of last year.

Sixteen people were reported to have died, with many more victims undergoing treatment.

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: Comments on this article are that of the commenters and they do not necessarily reflect the organizations stand or views on issues.

Previous Post Next Post